Sunday 10 June 2012

Fix Coming For The Train Mission

I just went in and created a server for Mission 4 (the "Train Mission").

It's still too laggy.

So to fix it I'm going to "nuke it from orbit".

Basically, the scrolling terrain is a treadmill system running in the background. (I wish I could convert all those entities to client-side only, in which case you'd have absolutely beautiful 3D scrolling terrain with no network traffic - but that's something to do if the Kickstarter campaign goes totally incredible.)

Basically, I'm going to rip it all out and just lay in a slab of bsp with a scrolling texture. That way the terrain will generate no net traffic, whatsoever. (Okay, I might put in train lights that whip by now and then...)

This is too bad, because the ending of that mission is actually funny...

No comments:

Post a Comment